It’s no secret that things are pretty stressful right now. Nothing is exactly the way that it seems it should be. So, I just want to give you a quick reminder of one of the BEST ways to relieve stress and feel like yourself again!
Exercise is like a miracle when it comes to stress. It does all these things…
- Regulates stress hormones
- Releases endorphins (feel-good chemicals!)
- Releases brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF for brain health)
- Improves hippocampal function (an area of the brain related to post-traumatic stress)
- Decreases inflammation (a mechanism that can affect mood)
- Regulates neurotransmitters (like the reward chemical, dopamine)
Basically, exercise is like a mental and emotional detox. You just can’t help feeling better after a good run or brisk walk or even working up a sweat in front of an online exercise class.
Even if your gym is closed, or you’re choosing not to go, I encourage you to find whatever ways you can to be active every day. You’ll feel less stress, less anxiety, and renewed energy to take on whatever the day brings.