Whether you vowed to follow a low-carb diet or exercise more, the most popular theme of New Years’ Resolutions is weight loss. That’s amazing, but…
Most people who lose weight gain it back.
The statistics on this are pretty grim. A comprehensive review of 29 long-term weight loss studies found that more than half of all weight lost is gained back within 2 years. By 5 years, more than 80% of lost weight is regained.
Even though there are a lot of ways to successfully lose weight, the real trick is keeping it off .
Here is a non-exhaustive list of reasons that it’s hard to maintain weight loss:
- Ultra-processed foods trick you into eating more
- Mass availability of sugary foods cause insulin resistance
- Endocrine-disrupting chemicals mess with your metabolism
- Jobs require you be sedentary most of the time
Here’s something I think a lot of people get wrong. The reason that it’s hard to maintain weight loss is NOT a lack of willpower. Much more often it’s because your metabolism is broken.
Here’s my approach when it comes to weight loss and weight management:
- Test. If you have routine labs run that say everything is “normal,” I’d like to take a second look. Subtle patterns can give us clues into your metabolism. Plus, we need to look beyond routine tests to discover what might be the root cause of a broken metabolism.
- Assess. I’m going to look at what’s in your current diet (and what’s not) that might be keeping you stuck. I’m going to look at other things in your life that might be interfering with weight loss—from stress to sleep issues to exposures to toxins or everyday endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
- Recommend. No single diet will solve everyone’s weight loss problems. One person may need to do a liver detox, and another person may need support for thyroid function. I’ll combine all the best tools to address what’s holding you back from a healthy weight.
Sound complicated? That’s why I’m here. Most people can’t figure out the nuances of weight loss alone. We need to look at the whole person and consider everything that’s affecting your metabolism. Book an Initial Consultation