Looking for a healthier snack when you are on a keto diet is even crucial than with other forms of diet plans. It is vital that you know what nutrients you need to consume to keep your body fueled as you cut down your carbohydrates intake. It is highly recommended to maintain your carb consumption below 50 grams.
The best way to ensure that you are still within your goals is to have a variety of low-carb snacks easily available while you’re on the go. This keeps you from grabbing that fast food or bag of chips when cravings hit.
Use the list below as a foundation for your new snack list. Mix and match however you like!
- Mix macadamia nuts, coconut butter, cheese, and blackberries. No baking required!
- Frozen berries topped with heavy cream
- Celery with cream cheese
- Red, green, and yellow bell pepper dipped in cream cheese
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cherry tomatoes paired with olive oil or mozzarella cheese
- Bulletproof coffee
- Steamed salmon
- Whey protein partnered with kale
- Sliced cucumbers with cream cheese
- High-fiber nuts such as macadamia and almonds – these are high in healthy fats and protein needed on a ketogenic diet.
- Seeds rich in omega-3 such as chia and flaxseed
- Sardines seasoned with Old Bay
- Rolled cheddar or Edam cheese filled with sliced butter
- Wrap spice-flavored chicken or pork meats with lettuce leaves
If you have a few extra minutes, try these snacks. They require a little more preparation time, but are so worth it!
- Baked Kale
Massage a bunch of kale with olive oil and bake. Mix with Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Top with garlic powder.
- Jalapeño Poppers
Fill sliced jalapeños (seeds removed) with a combination of cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. Wrap with slices of bacon and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Add salt and spices to taste.
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza=
Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until fine, steam, and drain well. Mix with garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan, oregano, Mozzarella, and salt. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet in a circle and bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 20 minutes. Add your veggie toppings and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Veggie Salad
Mix veggies with bacon bits, parmesan cheese or olive oil, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Cheese Chips
Place thinly sliced cheddar cheese, Edam cheese, or provolone cheese on a pan. Sprinkle with paprika and bake at 400°F for 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with guacamole.
Veggies dipped in low-carb cream is one of most highly recommended snacks for a ketogenic diet because there is such a wide variety. Use organic fruits and veggies to ensure that they are naturally grown and free from toxins. Remember that potatoes and carrots have higher carbs so it is better to choose green and/or leafy vegetables.
Snacking doesn’t have to be hard or detrimental to your keto diet. Have plenty of keto snacks stored in your kitchen and handy on the go so you are ready when those cravings strike!